Friday, April 17, 2009

picky dogs SUCK!

What dog doesn't gobble up any table food you put in front of them? Oh yes, that would be my dog. She is so FREAKIN' picky she won't eat anything. She also knows there is going to be pills in there, so she will thoroughly sniff it in your hand to see if it is safe. If you have managed to conceal it completely, she then takes it out of your hands, and puts it on the floor. Then she will nibble on it to see if the pill becomes visible. OMGoodness, I don't know how much longer I can do this...

Today's score, Tracy 0, Abby 2. (unfortunately for Abby, Randy will be home around lunchtime and he will just stuff them in the back of her mouth so she has to swallow it. I have a hard time doing that)

I AM AT MY WITS END~

Things tried to date and none of them are working:
Bread: worked the longest at about a week.
Ham juice (while at Katie's house)
Peanut butter
pop tarts
cheese
hot dogs
raw ground turkey (this did work, but then I got nervous about giving her raw meat. They are essentially tame wolves right? Raw meat should be okay? I am going to have to resort to this soon)
cooked chicken
cooked turkey,
stuffing them in back of her throat
applesauce
jelly


She hadn't eaten or drank for two days, so yesterday I gave her some milk and cooked ground turkey. She LOVES milk (and drank it) The ground turkey I mixed in with her food and she finally ate a bowl. I really think she just gets pissed and thinks she has more will than me.. I guess she forgot who she is dealing with!

Any other food suggestions you can think of? remember it has to be something I can add two very LARGE pills too and conceal them COMPLETELY. She is defintely not dumb, except every time I go to the cabinet with the medicine, she comes running..

5 comments:

Kayris said...

Have you tried Pill Pockets? They are like treats, except you can hide pills in them. Or, depending on the medication, you could try grinding it or opening capsules, but then you have to make sure that she eats her entire meal.

My other suggestion would be tuna fish. The smell masks the medication.

Or you could just continue to cram them down her throat.

Good luck!

Stephanie said...

Doesn't Becky use Brownshwager (I know, I massacred the name of that lunchmeat-ish stuff). You'll have to ask her how that works for Bailey.

Mandy said...

no ideas, sorry !!!

col said...

This made me laugh so hard at 7:52 am I wish I had you over here every morning...anyway, i say cram and then give treat. Also, I wonder if the vet can give a shot instead?????? A big one maybe???? Also if there is powder in the pill break it and place on bologna and enjoy. A little med is better than no med. Hey wanna write a dog cook book???? We might be on to something here girl. Thanks for being "Diaper girl to the rescue"luv,col

Meg said...

Hi tracy, this is Katie's friend Meg....try cream cheese. My dog has to take really big pills and the cream cheese just makes them slide down so fast she never notices. Good luck!