Monday, July 28, 2008

Next time you go to the store

If you think about it and you have the means, next time you go to the store, buy some of those extremely cheap school supplies. It is probably just the (a long time ago) teacher in me, but there are SO many kids who go to school empty handed. Can you imagine the self esteem they can get by walking into a new school year with the most basic (and brand new) school supplies? Such a small thing can make such a drastic difference.

So many churches have donation sites as well as charity houses. Heck, you could probably call you local elementary school and they would accept the supplies. Our church collects supplies every year for a charity shop. It is a second hand store that is similar to a Goodwill or something of that nature, but all the profits go back to the community. I went to Wal*mart to get some of the supplies. Do you realize you can buy a 24 pack of crayons for $.17? You could spend less than $5 and get pencils ($.50) crayons, paper glue sticks and folders for 2 or three children. Wal*mart had backpacks for $7. I know the Wal*mart in my hometown used to have a bin where you could buy the supplies and not even have to do the work of finding a home for them. You could just drop them right in the bin on the way out.

Just a thought...

9 comments:

MaryB said...

Thank you so much for posting this. you are so right. Our church had bags with the supply list stapled to the front , and we are filling some to return tho the church next week.

People really do not realize what a self-esteem issue this is for kids. And, whatever your political or social leanings are, it is in NO WAY the kids' faults that they are in these positions! And, with a just little bit of effort, we can all do our part to help ensure that these kids have the opportunity and self respect to make a better way for themselves in the future!

Again, THANK YOU SO SO MUCH for posting this! I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of it also.

Erin said...

A great thought. Thanks for the inspiration. I intend to do JUST THAT.

The Quinn Report said...

I thought to myself the very same thing today. ALL YMCA'S in the U.S. also have donations sites that kicked off today! Thanks for the sharing the great info.!

joanna said...

I wish I'd thought of that while I was at Target today. I see the great deals and I really want to buy stuff I don't need anymore because I already bought our supply list stuff. I might have to go back this week!

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart for remembering our students without the means to start school with their suppilies like the rest of the class. We teachers too appreciate your donations because we are constantly buying for those students so that they don't feel bad because they don't have it. Thanks Tracy!!!!!!!!

Love you,
Aunt Angie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing..! Well, WalMart is one of my most favorite store for affordable school supplies.

Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I could not agree more! Seeing the face of a little kindergarten cherub as s/he walks in the door on the first day with their pack of supplies is one of the best times of the year! That was very sweet of you to write!

Lysandra said...

Done and done...what a big heart you have!